If you have been charged with a crime, you need to know that your Los Angeles criminal defense attorney has what it takes to preserve your freedom.
Robert M. Helfend has more than 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of the accused in Southern California. In that time, he has successfully defended more than 4,000 criminal cases — achieving the best possible outcome in criminal cases ranging from simple drug possession to major felony charges and Federal crimes.
Mr. Helfend is known for his deep understanding of California law, his careful attention to detail and the skillful defenses he brings to the courtroom. Rated among the top criminal law firms in California, Mr. Helfend is National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Attorney, a Lead Counsel Attorney, a SuperLawyers Rated Attorney, an Expertise.com Top Attorney and an Expert Network Distinguished Attorney. A aggressive and confident communicator, as he builds and defends a case, Mr. Helfend proactively works to keep his clients apprised of their rights and options, helping to put their minds at ease during this anxious time.
Nobody ever plans on winding up in a courtroom. The criminal justice system is intimidating, and it can be frightening to find yourself facing jail time from criminal charges. However, when you work with Los Angeles criminal defense attorney Robert M. Helfend, you gain the benefit of an attorney you know will protect your future rights and freedoms.
Robert M. Helfend is based in Los Angeles County, serving clients throughout Southern California. Call today for your free case evaluation – 800-834-6434.
More Than 30 Years Experience On Your Side
Mr. Helfend has defended thousands of cases: Everything from misdemeanor drug crimes to DUI, domestic violence, child abuse and homicides. He’s cross-examined hundreds of so-called “expert witnesses,” and he is prepared to challenge any scientific evidence that the district attorney brings to court.
It’s your criminal defense attorney’s job to put his expertise to work for you, and Mr. Helfend has earned a reputation as an aggressive, talented and skilled criminal defense lawyer. In fact, he has been recognized numerous times as one of the top defense attorneys in Los Angeles.
There are hundreds of criminal defense lawyers in Los Angeles — former prosecutors and career defense attorneys, each making their own claims about guaranteed results and “not guilty” verdicts — but the proof is in the pudding. The following is partial list of results Mr. Helfend has secured for his clients in criminal defense cases:
- Attempted Murder – Client was accused of passing a firearm to his co-defendant just prior to the co-defendant shooting the victim. At the preliminary hearing, Mr. Helfend artfully coaxes the victim to exonerate his client of his involvement in the shooting. CASE DISMISSED.
- Assault With A Deadly Weapon – Client was charged with felony assault with a firearm and criminal threats, including the special enhancement of “using a firearm in the commission of the offense.” Following a five-day jury trial, Mr. Helfend’s defense strategy convinced the jury to return a “not guilty” verdict in one hour.
- Homicide – An eyewitness identified client as the individual responsible for shooting her boyfriend. After a five-day trial, the jury could not reach a verdict, and Mr. Helfend’s client was charged with voluntary manslaughter and given credit for time served.
- Criminal Threats – Client was accused of threatening to kill someone if he did not turn off his car headlights. Mr. Helfend carefully investigated the case before turning over evidence to prosecution. On the day of the trial, the prosecution offered reduced charges of an infraction only.
- Commercial Burglary – Client was charged with felony second-degree commercial burglary and spent 18 years as a fugitive. Mr. Helfend successfully negotiated a reduced sentence for his client. Read more.
Read more recent results.
Rated One of the Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in Los Angeles
Robert M. Helfend has been honored with recognition from some of the most prestigious legal organizations in the country. He has been:
- Voted a Super Lawyer in Southern California every year since 2009.
- Named to Expertise.com’s 2021 list of the six best criminal defense attorneys in the Thousand Oaks area.
- Named to the National Trial Lawyer Association’s Top 100 attorneys list.
- Named to the prestigious SuperLawyers list in 2020.
These are just a few of the many honors and awards that Mr. Helfend has earned over the course of his career.