Criminal Defense For Murder, Homicide or Manslaughter in California – Los Angeles Murder Attorney
In 2018, there were 16,214 murders in the United States. There are no more serious charges than murder. If you have been charged with first degree murder, homicide or manslaughter, your attorney has to be experienced, and more importantly, he or she had better be very good.
I am a source you can trust and feel confident in, as I focus my practice exclusively on providing tough, experienced, and highly skilled criminal defense in state and federal courts. I welcome you to contact my offices right away so I can review your case and determine how to best begin building an aggressive defense as a Los Angeles murder attorney on your behalf.
“Robert Helfend is one of the best criminal defense attorneys I’ve ever worked with. He was so knowledgeable, and always made sure I understood everything every step of the way. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who wants an understanding, caring, and truly helpful lawyer.”Pat, CA
Los Angeles Homicide Defense
After being charged with homicide, you need an attorney whom you can trust with your life because, in California, that is exactly what you are doing. When we meet, I will clearly explain the charges against you, what you should expect next, and how your decisions will affect your case. The relationship of trust and honest communication that you develop with your murder defense lawyer will become your most important asset over the next several months and even years.
I will be there for you. I will use every possible legal maneuver to have your charges dismissed or dropped.
My reputation for integrity among prosecutors and judges is extremely important. When we file a motion to suppress evidence, it is taken seriously. When we argue for a reduced charge based on legal and personal grounds, our arguments will be respected. If your case goes to court for trial, I promise that the judge and jury will clearly understand how serious we are about an acquittal of the charges.
Aggravating Factors to Murder Charges
While murder charges tend to come with harsh penalties regardless of the circumstances- there are circumstances that can actually make the sentence you face worse.
What are aggravating factors to murder charges?
- If the defendant has more than one murder conviction
- If the murder accompanied another crime such as rape, arson or robbery
- If the victim murdered was a law enforcement officer
- If the murder involved torture
- If the defendant ambushed his / her victim
- If the defendant poisoned his victim
- If the defendant is a gang member
- If the murder involved explosive materials
Not factoring in aggravating factors, common murder sentences include life without the possibility of parole, 20 to 25 years in state prison or even the death penalty. Because murder is considered to be such a heinous crime, defendants rarely receive much sympathy or mercy from a judge, prosecutor or jury. That is why it is imperative, if you are charged with murder, that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately!
What Are Some Defenses Against Murder Charges in California?
There are many probable and strong defenses that can be used in your quest towards exoneration. I can help you determine which approach would be the best:
- Factual innocence: You didn’t do it.
- Pleading self-defense: You acted to defend yourself.
- Provocation: The victim provoked you; this can sometimes result in reduced charges.
- Intervening events: The death of the victim was caused by an event not in accordance with your intent / will.
- Duress: You were threatened by the victim.
- Necessity: Killing the victim resulted in less harm than what he / she would have inflicted to others.
- Insufficient proof or evidence.
- Insanity: You were not in your right mind when the incident happened.
How to Select a Defense Lawyer in Los Angeles, California
There are many criminal defense attorneys in Los Angeles. Some will promise you the world. I won’t. I will promise to work hard and work directly with you throughout your entire defense process. If you or a loved one has been charged with murder, manslaughter, or vehicular homicide in the Los Angeles area, make sure you involve a lawyer with the experience to help. Contact my firm right away — 800-834-6434.